♥ Guideline ♥
In this guideline I am going to help you to become a vegan/plant based eater. I am going to do this step by step. The first step will be how to get rid of red meats, which will guide you gently to becoming a vegetarian. Just to be clear; I am a vegan/plant based person who is inspired by the (V)ITAL way of living. Take a look at my ABOUT page to found out more about this amazing way of living… the ITAL way. My guideline is a gentle way of becoming a plant based eater. If you follow my steps, you will not have many cravings along the way, because you will be eliminating bad kinds of food step by step. If you would like to become a plant based eater over night, no problem, just go for it. But remember, slow is often better. I have this guideline through my own experience. I took the same steps myself and didn’t experience to many cravings, bad days or detox symptoms. That is why I suggest you to go slow towards your goal….the perfect health, for you, the earth, nature and the animals.
In these steps I will always begin with the boring part. This will educate you a bit about how bad the food you will be eliminating in that step is for your body. It might be a bit dull but after I will provide you with lots of tips and tricks on how to get comfortable rid of this food category. Good luck and hope to meet you at the end ♥
Step 1 : Get rid of red meats
Why is red meat, unprocessed and processed, bad for your health?
Well, red meat is associated with a significant elevated risk of cardiovascular diseases, and cancer mortality. Probably because red meat contains a high level of bad cholesterol, what the body doesn’t need at all. Worse is that in processed meats are a range of damaging nitrites and nitrates that can lead to endothelial dysfunction what can bring a major range of different diseases like atherosclerosis, but also obesity and diabetes.
This was a bit of education about why red meat is bad for your health. Now the fun part. How to. First, ok this is obvious of course… don’t eat red meat again. Cut out all the processed and unprocessed sources of red meat.
Red meats are mostly meats from pork, lamb and beefs
- parma ham
- many more
Replace these by healthier options
- more vegetables
- vegetarian burgers
- vegetarian sausages
- many more
Tips and tricks
Tell your friends and family that you stopped eating red meats so they can gently follow your path with or beside you.
When you enter a fast food establishment (which I never do), take the veggie burger.
When you eat pizza, cover it with more healthy, non-red meat options.
When you are just starting, use meat substitutes. You find them in every store and you won’t even taste the difference with the real stuff.
Continue with this step until you have no more cravings for red meats whatsoever. Some of you will do this in a few weeks, others will struggle a bit longer. No worries. TIME is all it takes. Eventually you will forget about the red meats and then you can go to step two…good luck and hope to see you at step two ♥
Step 2 : Get rid of white meats
Why white meats are as bad for you as red meats?
Many people consider white meats to be healthier then red meats because they’ve been told that this type of meats (chicken & turkey) contain less fat. This is not true. In a study was found that chicken meat contains as much fat per gram than a big mac. Therefor it causes as much damage to your body as red meat. We see that most saturated fat comes from -animal products-, including white meats. Even worse is the animal protein which leads to a higher bad cholesterol. The cholesterol of white meats does a good job at clogging the arteries and causing heart diseases. Good cholesterol is made inside the human body and needs no help from outside. This is why each added dose contributes to artery blockage, leading to heart attacks, strokes and other serious health problems.
All plant foods are cholesterol free 😀
What about the weight gain and (white) meats? If you consume meat, red or white, you have a much greater risk of gaining weight, especially around the middle.
What about what is NOT found in (white) meat? White or red meats contain no fibre, complex carbohydrates, not vitamin C. Fibre cleanses the digestive tract, keeping bowels healthy and regular, slows the absorption of sugar and fat, carries away excess hormones from the blood and lowers cholesterol. Complex carbohydrates -found only in plants- are relatively low in calories and boost our metabolism. Vitamin C is an antioxidant and is necessary for a strong immune system, for fast healing of wounds and for the formation of collagen in the skin (to stay pretty), tendons and bones.
This was the boring part. Let’s start now. Are you ready? No more cravings for the red meats? Completely done with those? It’s time for step 2. Starting today; no more chicken or turkey has to die for you anymore. No more growth hormones and antibiotics will enter your body anymore. You will be much healthier after this step. You will be getting stronger after each step. You will be proud of what you can accomplish. So, stop eating the whites. This step can be a bit more difficult then the first step, but believe me, your body is going to be very happy with this one. The elimination of poultry is a very hard part in the transition for many people. I’ve been told many times before that it is no problem to get rid of the red meats, but don’t take away the chicken. I know that it is hard but if you want to reach a higher level of health, you need to take this step. Later on I will also talk to you about the life of the animals you safe by not eating them and how that effects our planet! We only have 1, you know?
White meats are mostly meat from poultry (chicken and turkey)
- chicken nuggets
- chicken burger
- thanksgivings turkey
- stuffed turkey
- chicken filets
- chicken drumsticks
- chicken wings
Replace by healthier options
Tips & tricks
First, yes you know, tell your family and friends so they can follow in your footsteps or at least know what you are doing. This is important. Believe me. 😀
At the beginning you can replace your chicken or turkey with the commercial substitutes listed above. When you season right, it tastes exactly like chicken.
If you get more comfortable with not eating chicken, replace the commercial processed foods (I never eat them) with more healthier choices like organic tofu, seitan or quorn, lentils, chickpeas, nuts and seeds.
Start cooking and start enjoying it. This will help you to make your breakfast, lunch and dinner amazing without meat. Check out my recipes and make cooking your passion.
Continue step 2 until you forgot al about meat. Until you feel comfortable with al the other things you can make and eat. Take as long as it takes and don’t get disturbed when you have a fallback. Just keep trying at your own pace. When you are completely meat free…GREAT JOB! Amazing…you did a fantastic job. Keep on this path, the path of health. It will take you towards the highest level of health. Are you ready for step 3? Hope to meet you there happy and healthy and strong. ♥ ♥
Step 3 : Get rid of fish
Step 1 and 2 are done! No more struggles and cravings?… Than it’s ready for step 3. Get rid of fish and all other animals that ‘live’ in the water.
And how to get rid of fish, well first again some boring part, but it’s a great way to learn about the health impact on your body. Ok ready? Here’s some boringness :p
Why fish and seafood are equally bad for you as red and white meats?
Many water bodies and the fish that inhabit them contain chemical contaminants, human consumption of fish and shellfish poses a potential health risk.
How so? Well
Fish’s bodies absorb toxic chemicals in the water around them. And it gets worse as big fishes (e.g. tuna or salmon) eat the smaller fishes. The chemicals become more concentrated in their bodies. Fish flesh stores contaminants, such as PCBs (which cause liver damage, nervous system disorders, and fatal damages), dioxins (also linked to cancer), radioactive substances like strontium 90 and other dangerous contaminants like cadmium, mercury, lead, chromium, and arsenic (which can cause health problems, like kidney damage and decreased mental development to cancer). These toxins are stored in the body fat of humans who eat fish and remain in their bodies for decades. Many of our waterways are polluted with human and animal feces, and this waste carries dangerous bacteria like E. coli. So when we eat fish, we are exposing ourselves to the unnecessary risk of contracting a nasty bacterial illness that can lead from mild to extreme discomfort and nervous system damage.
So what we already know is that the chemicals on land and in air can wash into waterways → lakes, rivers, streams, bays, and the ocean. Fish can take in these chemicals from the food they eat, where people can take in these chemicals when they eat contaminated fish.
Some chemicals found in seafood:
Mercury is a natural element found in rocks, coal, and soil. it’s released into the air when soil and rocks decay or volcanoes erupt. The mercury in the air falls back down in the form of rain and snow and runs off into rivers, lakes and other bodies of water, especially during storms. We see that the mercury passes into tiny plants and animals living in water and then into the fish that eat them.
And what are the health issues of mercury found in fish?
It can lead to damaging the brain while it is growing. Pregnant mothers -unborn babies- and children are most sensitive.
PCBs is another chemical found in fish. It’s a large group of related industrial chemicals.
It are oily liquids or solids and are clear or light yellow in color and contains no smell or taste. Studies with animals showed that high levels of PCBs could harm the liver, digestive tract, and nerves. They could affect development, reproduction, and the immune system. Also some studies suggest that low levels of PCBs, like those found in some fish, might cause small decreases in children’s’ I.Q. or affect their memory, especially during pregnancy.
Another chemical found in fish -but also in meat, dairy products and poultry- is DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane).
It is a synthetic organochlorine insecticide once used throughout the world to control insects that transmit malaria, typhus, and other diseases. High levels of DDT can lead to nervous system problems and like methyl mercury and PCBs, lower levels of DDTs may affect the development of the nervous system in the foetus or children. It can also affect the reproduction and have also been found to cause cancer in some animal studies.
Bye bye boring part, hellow fun part 😀
The most common fish and sea foods are
- fish sticks
- fish sauce
- and many more….
Replace by healthier options
- fishless filets
- more legumes
- more vegetables
- more potatoes
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce or some coconut aminos or soy sauce to replace the fish sauce.
- Other commercial fish substitutes are found in many health stores and also online.
- You can even make your own tuna salad! (Check out my recipe)
- To add some fish taste to your dishes you can use kelp flakes. They give a fishy flavour to your meals.
- You can also eat seaweed like nori with your meals. It taste fishy and njammie.
Tips and tricks
- Again tell your family and friends that you took the next step. In the beginning they will tell you that you’re crazy, but that’s OK. Keep telling them about every step you take. You might convince one or two people to follow your crazy path. We need every single person possible to follow in our food steps.
- Take it slow, if you think you’re not able to get rid of fish overnight than just cut down on your fish consumption.
- By now it is time NOT to entre any fast food restaurant (except for the vegan ones) again. You will not find anything you like here anymore. You are gradually becoming a healthier and better person for yourself and this earth. Not entering the common fast food places anymore is a huge step in the right direction. Your future. The planets future.
- Continu cooking. This will convince you that there is so much more to eat out there then animals. Watch me on youtube, read my blog,
ask me anything you want to know and get in your kitchen 😀
I am really proud of you. You almost made it. By know you don’t eat any animals anymore. You are making this world a better place to live in and you are improving your health every day. Keep going like this. If you are completely done with eating animals I will meet you in step 4 : get rid of that so called ‘golden drink’ (milk) that is really killing you, the animals and our earth. Good luck. Be the best you can be. ♥♥♥
Step 4: get rid of dairy
Well guys, this is step 4 in the transition to a healthier body. Hopefully step three is done and you don’t have any more cravings for fish or other sea animals ;). If that’s the case, welcome to step 4! Let us begin with some (boring) education …
Some facts about milk/dairy products
- Milk is perhaps the most common source of food allergen in the world.
- The majority of the world’s population cannot digest milk due to lactose intolerance.
- Cow’s milk protein may play a role in triggering type 1 diabetes.
- Across countries, populations that consume more dairy have higher rates of multiple sclerosis.
- higher milk intake is linked to acne.
- High intake of milk leads towards more risk of several cancer types.
Is milk not important?
Milk is a very important product in the western diet. Milk and his by-products like cheese, yoghurt, kefir, ice cream, butter and whey are highly recommended by food and medical industries. All of them say that you need milk to live a healthy life. You need milk for strong bones they say… But why is it than that 90 percent of African- American, 70 percent of Asian, and 15 percent of Caucasian children are unable to digest the sugar (lactose) in milk? Of all the animals on the planet, people are the only creatures who routinely consume the milk products of other species. The scientific evidence suggests that the consequences of this practice are devastating. It appears likely that no other component in the modern diet causes more pain and suffering, including premature death and disability, than dairy products.
Consumption of milk and his common consequences:
- Childhood (type one) diabetes
- Ear infections
- Sinus congestion and Rhinitis
- Skin problems including rashes, dermatitis, eczema, hives and acne
- Digestive disturbance (including irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn’s disease)
- Arthritis and joint pain
- Cancer (lymphoma, leukemia,…)
What’s exactly in milk/dairy products?
- Milk proteins: all dairy products, contain abundant quantities of milk proteins. Milk proteins are the most commonly implicated causal factor in promoting the many disease we named.
- Bacterial contamination: dairy products are among the most common foods recalled by the FDA for contamination with bacteria such as salmonella, staphylococci, listeria, Ecoli 01573, and Mycobacterium paratuberculosis. Pasteurization kills most of the bacteria found in milk; however, it also creates viral fragments that may lead to health risks.
- Toxins: all animal products, including dairy products possesses pesticides and other environmental contaminants. The end result of meat and/or milk products have highly concentrated levels of these toxins.
- Hormones: In order to maximize milk production, dairy cows are routinely injected with growth hormone. This hormone dramatically increases milk production but also increases insulin-like growth factor-1 which has been shown to promote the growth of cancer cells.
- Antibiotics: Large quantities of antibiotics are given to dairy cattle what can lead to increasing problems of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria.
- Pus: The U.S. Department of Agriculture says that mastitis, a painful inflammation of the udder, is one of the leading causes of death for adult cows in the dairy industry. Pus from the infection drips into the cows’ milk and a small amount of this pus is allowed in milk (products)
The disease “prevented” by milk… Caused by milk:
Osteoporosis, mostly suffered by women, but also man can suffer of. Fracture rates are highest in countries that consume the most dairy and calcium. Countries that consume little or no milk, dairy or calcium supplements have 50% to 70% lower fracture rates. This is called the calcium paradox, because the places where they’re told to ‘drink milk for strong bones’ are the places where are seeing much higher rates of osteoporosis!
What is exactly the problem than?
The problem is, the amount of calcium that we put into our body. It is not directly related to how much calcium is in bone. There has to be sufficient calcium consumed in order for a bone to take up calcium, but ‘pouring it in’ is not an boost for bones to take up calcium. Just like with muscles, we need some protein to build our muscles with. However, adding more protein in the diet doesn’t make the muscles grow. It’s using the muscle that makes muscle grow. Similar with bone, it’s using the bone that makes the bone take-up more nutrients needed for rebuilding. So there’s an assumption that just pouring calcium into the body is what is going to be the trigger for new bone growth and of course it’s not!
How to get strong bones without dairy?
Pay attention to getting a good variety of foods from plant sources. We need a healthy, whole foods, plant-based eating style and we need to move our bodies. Exercise: walking, dancing, gardening,… are all fantastic activities for bones! Hiking is also great, even better than walking because you use other muscles. Also using your arms! Knead bread, garden, or do yoga. Know your vitamin D status. Go out in the sun and If you think you have to less or you live in a area were the sun doens’t shine that often, work with your health-care provider to get it back to adequacy.
Just a quick note about cheese. Cheese is loaded with artery-clogging saturated fat and cholesterol. Most varieties derive 70 to 80 percent of their calories from fat, and cream cheese is 90 percent fat. So, cheese = pure bad fat, what causes several diseases like artherosclerosis. What else? Well, many cheeses are made with rennet, an enzyme that come from calves’ stomach lining. So, eating cheese = eating calves stomach too. But that is not all… Ever wondered why you crave cheese that much? Well because it’s an addictive product! There is a trigger in cheese that gives the same feeling after eating cheese as taking some sort of drugs… And that’s why cheese is the hardest to get rid off in this transition.
- Ice cream
- Sour cream
- Whey protein
- Milk replacements: almond milk, rice milk, hazelnut milk, cashew milk, oat milk, spelt milk, coconut milk, buckwheat milk, soy milk,…
- Yoghurt replacements: soy yoghurt, coconut yoghurt, almond yoghurt. You can make your own as well (many recipes online).
- Cheese replacement: make your own → cheese (sauce) (you can find many recipes online) or buy cheese replacements. Also nutritional yeast has a great cheesy flavour to add in your sauces or to sprinkle over your salads,…
- Chocolate milk: make your own → vegan chocolate milk or buy some prestored. You can find several stores who sell dairyfree chocolate milk.
- Eat enough calcium rich foods, like leafy greens, nuts and seeds, dried fruits, beans, tofu.
- Ice cream: you can buy vegan ice cream (sometimes in regular stores find, or in health stores). Or you can make your own → Nicecream
- Butter: soy butter, coconut oil or other vegetable oil.
- Sour cream: you can make your own or buy pre made (mostly find in health stores).
- Whey protein: substitute for pea-, hemp-, pumpkinseed-,… protein. Also nuts, seeds and legumes are great replacements.
Tips & tricks
Again tell your family and friends that you took the next step. They’ll probably don’t understand why you stopped consuming dairy. Because dairy is important for strong bones and overall health right? And than it’s time to educate them about milk and what it does to your body. So give yourself and the people around you the time to realize that milk isn’t good for you. And keep in mind: if you belief in yourself and tell your story, facts and results to anyone who had ears for it, you can convince some people to follow your amazing path towards a healthier person. Again, the more who follow the better for everyone and everything.
Again don’t rush it. If you think you’re not able to leave milk, cheese or other dairy products out of your diet overnight, start than with one dairy product, like milk. Than you can leave the butter and yoghurt and probably the hardest of all dairy products. Cheese. But guys if you can just give it all up at once… Do it! 😉
No more meat, no more chicken, no more fish… Slightly no more dairy and you’re hopefully feeling better and stronger! It’s a major step in the right direction.
Don’t forget to educate yourself and if you have any struggles, just watch some documentaries about health (e.g. Food Matters, What the Health, Cowspiracy, vegucated,…). These help a lot
Keep cooking. There are so many alternatives for dairy where you never thought of or even never knew they existed. For more inspiration, watch me on youtube, read my blog, ask me anything you want to know and start experimenting 😀
You’re doing so great! You’re almost there!… Bye bye milk, cheese, yoghurt,… Welcome nutritious food and hello health improvement. Every step closer towards a healthier lifestyle is also a step closer to a better world. Never forget we’re all connected with each other, humans, animals, nature. So be good to yourself, and indirect you’re good for all the other beings and nature! Keep smiling and don’t forget, there are no mistakes.. If you ever have a fall back, that is OK, just get right back up there and try to do your best! After this step we’re getting rid of those eggs. So see you at step 5! And if you have any questions, ask away 😀 Good luck guys ♥♥♥
Step 5: Get rid of eggs
Guys step 5 is here! How to get rid of eggs? So dairy was probably a bit harder to get rid off. But you made it to step 5! So proud 😀 Ok why are eggs bad for your health? Let us educate a little bit here.
First of all, Eggs have zero dietary fiber.
Fat and cholesterol
Eggs contain a lot of fat, (70 % big part is saturated) and cholesterol, what can lead to an increase in heart disease and diabetes.
Eggshells are a perfect host for salmonella. What can lead to food poisoning.
What’s wrong with the egg whites? Egg whites are a very concentrated source of animal protein. It’s proven that animal protein are too acidic for the human body. This can lead to kidney diseases, cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
- Cancer: people who consumed just 1.5 eggs per week had nearly five times the risk for colon cancer (colon and rectal). Men who consume 2.5 eggs per week, increased their risk for a deadly form of prostate cancer by 81 percent, compared with men who consumed less than half an egg per week. Even moderate egg consumption tripled the risk of developing bladder cancer.
- Diabetes: A study shows that the people who consumed the most eggs increased their risk for diabetes by 68 percent, compared with those who ate the fewest.
- Heart disease: in a study, researchers found that people who consumed the most eggs increased their risk for cardiovascular disease by 19 percent. The people who already had diabetes, Increased the risk for developing heart disease with 83 percent if there was an increase of egg consumption.
Well that’s it for the education 😀 Let’s do some fun things now.
The thing is, eggs are used in so many things, like many pastries, cakes, cookies, pancakes, but also in savoury dishes like quiche and just scrambled eggs,… You name it. The good thing is you actually don’t need eggs to make all of these delicious foods. There are so many replacements that eggs will jump out of there shell and can live a happy life.
Egg replacements (amounts replaces 1 egg)
- Commercial egg substitute like “No egg” or “MyEy”
- Chia egg: 1 tbs chiaseeds + 3 tbs water
- Flaxs egg: 1 tbs flaxseeds + 3 tbs water
- Baking powder: 3 tbs baking powder + 3 tbs water + 1 tbs sunflour oil
- ½ banana
- Baking soda: 1 tbs baking soda + something acidic like 1 tbs lemon juice or apple cider
- Agar agar: 1 tbs agar agar + 1 tbs water
- 3 tbs applesauce
- Vegetable oil: ¼ cup or 60 ml
- Plantbased yoghurt: ½ cup or 60 gr
- Arrowroot or cornstarch: 1 tbs + water until thick porridge consistency
- Aquafaba or chickpea liquid
- Silken tofu: ⅓ cup or 50 gr
- Firm tofu to make scrambled eggs or quiche
- Kala Namak is a black salt that taste like eggs
- Ackee, is a fruit. You can make scrambled eggs out of it. Taste just like it.
Tips & tricks
- Again inform your parents and friends what your next step is. So they know, what not to make anymore 😀 Or better they follow you.
- If it’s hard in the beginning to give up eggs overnight. You can reduce your amount of eggs in a week. e.g. you eat 3 days a week eggs, make it first 2 days. If you’re comfortable with 2 days, reduce till 1 day. Keep going until you don’t want eggs anymore.
- I know it is hard in the beginning to read every product in the store, searching for cookies, or other food without eggs and milk. But you get used to it ^^.
- Educate yourself more why eggs are bad for you and how chickens suffering while giving eggs + how poorly they get threatened.
Gone with the eggs, hi to improved health! 😀 Keep improving and make your body healthy and don’t think that you’re not doing a good job if you ate accidentally something with an egg in. We’re not perfect, we make mistakes. It’s already super good if you trying as hard as you can. Now eggs are done, let’s go to step 6… Good luck ♥♥♥